Tuesday, June 26, 2012

CurlBox Review by Bridgette


Happy Tuesday!  I have been seriously thinking about trying CurlBox to feed my PJism, but luckily of me, one of my friends has already tried out this fab subscription.  Below is her review!


What is a CurlBox?

an affordable, effortless and EASIER way to explore new hair products. You can discover hand-selected curly hair products delivered to your doorstep every month.

Yep, it’s just that. For $20 a month (shipping included) you get to try out hair (and usually other cosmetic) products. However, you can’t just go to the site and place an order. You have to sign up for a subscription, and the sign up list is not always open. If the subscription list is closed, you sign up to receive additional information. Once you sign up for more information, you will get an e-mail letting you know when the subscription list will reopen.  If you want in, be at the right place, ON TIME! The subscriptions sell out quickly.

I ordered my monthly subscription (they have yearly subscriptions available for a discount) in April and received my first CurlBox in May. Lucky me, it was a special box, the owner’s birthday month.  Here are a few photos of my box. 

 




Contents?

1-   8oz Kynx Refreshing Leave in Moisturizer (I’ve only used it once. It has a lemony smell. Not sure how I feel about its styling capabilities),
2-  8oz  Design Essentials Daily Moisturizing Lotion with Jojoba (Love, hate relationship with this one. It worked wonders on my bantu knot, twist out, holding them up during a hot and stormy Mississippi Saturday. Literally all day! It was 6 AM when I left home and 7PM when I returned, and yes, my hair was still fly, in spite of the ridiculous rain and heat! Sorry no photos, what a shame. L. So what do I hate? Although it has no sulfates, parabens, etc., it has something in it that gives it a coating property and with me following the Curly Girl Method, my hair notices the difference. Attempting to re-wet and twist at night proved futile. ) ,
  -  8.25oz Elasta QP Olive Oil & Mango Butter Moisturizer (Very moisturizing. It helped define my flat twits, but it’s not a CG friendly product. Oh well.),
4- Habibi Vanilla & Rose Body Balm (LOVE, LOVE, LOVE!!!!!! This product alone was worth the $20 I spent on the box. The 4oz jar that I received is $25 online! And a little goes a long way. Not sure I will be ordering this product any time soon (a bit pricey), but I will be trying to recreate the smell when I whip up my next batch of shea butter mixture.)
5- 8.50g Luster Renutrients Slick Stick (I haven’t tried this one yet.)
6-  Sample packet of Olive Oil Hair Masque (I haven’t tried this one yet.)
7- Sample Packet of Olive Oil (I haven’t tried this one yet.)
8- Sample packet of Shea Butter Hair & Scalp Lotion (I haven’t tried this one yet.)
9- Sample packet of Hair Repair (I haven’t tried this one yet.)
1- Mini “Love the Journey” journal (I haven’t written anything in my journal, haven’t been in a journaling mood. But I like the journal. My sister is currently transitioning and I am definitely getting her one!)
1- Coupons and brochures.

So what do I think?

I think CurlBox is a very creative idea that allows me to try some products that I have always wanted to try, but could not convince myself that they were worth the price, and to be introduced to new products that I had no clue about. Even with me CGing it these days, I feel it’s $20 well spent.

Here is a preview of my June CurlBox. Yep, I have the June one and haven’t even used all the products from the May box. Oh, it was a full bottle of Curls Coconut Sublime Conditioner, but I just had to try it since it falls into the CG rules. Smells great, still debating the rest.  



Contents:

1.     14oz Curls Coconut Sublime Conditioner
2.     4oz Curl Care Frizz Control Serum
3.     1.7oz Nutress Hair Wrap-Guard Foam Wrap Lotion
4.     1.7oz packet Sof’n Free GroHealthy Milk & Protein Olive Oil Really Deep Conditioning treatment
5.     Sample packet of Herbal Cleanse “Dry Shampoo”
6.     Sample packet of Ambrosia Hair Honeybush Replenishing Hair Milk
7.     Sample packet of Free Your Mane Baobab Brilliant Restorative Hair Oil
8.     Sample packet of Free Your Mane Daily Detangling Conditioner
9.     Sample packet of Bugs Off  Waterproof Mosquito Repellant Band 



No comments: