Monday, August 16, 2010

Protective Styling - Tree Braids

Hi Ladies!  This weekend, I got tree braids. What are tree braids? I thought you might ask. This is a braiding technique where the stylist cornrows your own hair, and leaves the extensions out.  Once the style is complete, all of your hair will be in cornrows, and the extensions will hang out. I know I just horribly explained that...but here's what the people at From Grandma's Kitchen have to say about it:

Tree braiding is similar to micro-braids but distinguishes itself from this traditional style by allowing a smooth transition from the braided section to the loose hair. The idea is as you braid your way down the hair, you remove small portions of the hair to be braided from your revolutions. The removal of this hair camouflages or covers the braid allowing for a more natural look to the braided hair.


Here are a few pictures of tree braids I found online:


You can use straight or curly hair.



 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
This style typically lasts 6 - 8 weeks. I will let you gals know how long I keep mine. What are your thoughts????

4 comments:

befrank said...

I love tree braids but having a hard time finding someone who knows how to do them properly. I was introduced to them when living in Atlanta, lots of braiders do a good job with a good synthetic hair as I do not reuse the hair.

Nappollonia said...

You're right; it is hard to find someone who knows how to do tree braids properly. If you're in the DC metro area, I know a great stylist!

misspoken said...

I'm just now seeing/reading this post. I know it's been quite a while...but is your stlist in DC still around? Contact info.? I'm a natural getting married in October...(living in the NJ/NY area)
Thanks for your help!

Nappollonia said...

Yes, she is. Check out my post from November 2011 for her business card. Thanks!