Saturday, July 24, 2010

Natural Hair...According to Janice

Janice, a long-time natural, who learned to *treasure* her naturally curly hair.


How long have you been natural? 5 years

Why did you get your hair relaxed? As a kid in elementary school, I remember looking at all the other kids around me who had straight hair, and I wanted to be like them. One day, I asked a neighbor how she got her hair to be straight, and she informed me that she had a relaxer. That same day, I asked my mom for a relaxer. She told me I was too young and did not need one. I was finally able to get the much desired relaxer in junior high because I really wanted my hair to be straight. My naturally curly hair seemed unmanageble, and I could never wear it down because it was so curly and frizzy. I was excited to get my hair relaxed in junior high!

Did you big chop? No.

When you get bored with your hair, what do you do? I don't ever get bored with it. I sometimes get tired of the maintenance. When I get tired of it, I comtemplate getting a relaxer or cutting it but I haven't followed through on either of them. :-)

A lot of members of the natural hair community are against cones, heat, and weaves. Are you? No, I am not. I feel that you should use what's best for your hair. I can't judge anyone's hair but mine.

How has the use of heat affected your hair? I haven't used heat on my hair in over a year. I do not remember any negative effects from using heat.

What is your current hair regimen? I wash my hair DAILY (which is what I get tired of). I use the Generic Brand of Matrix Curl Life. I purchase it from Sally's. It is called Beyond the Zone Noodle Head (Orange containers) and it is a lot less expensize than Matrix. I shampoo it and condition it daily and I let it hair air dry. That is all I do!

Were you ever a product junkie? Any favorites? I was at first and I can't even remember all of the products I used. I am satisfied with Noodle Head for now.
How often do you deep condition? Rarely; maybe once in 5 years.

What are some “professional” natural styles you wear? I wear my hair down mostly. I do not like headbands or clamps. I let it freely flow. I joke around and say that my hair does itself every morning! LOL!

What has been your best natural hair compliment…from a man? Good question; I do not know. They usually say that I stood out because of my hair and want to touch it.
 What advice, if any, would you give to newly naturals or those currently transitioning? Hang in there. :-) I went natural because my hair and scalp told me to go natural. They made it very clear that chemicals were not for me. I am not a natural expert...I just happen to be natural. I would say listen to your hair. I do not think everyone should be natural and can relate and understand the relaxed sistas as well. I say do you----whatever that is!

No comments: