Sunday, December 19, 2010

Lets Set Things STRAIGHT

Hi Ladies! I want to start with an empowering quote:

"Real women never have to worry about being a dime because real men don't carry change"

I posted that quote on Twitter today, and absolutely love it.  Now, you can go "run tell that homeboy!" (I can't help it. Antoine Dodson tickles me more than Elmo). Okay, back to the business at hand.  Here is an interview you are sure to enjoy.  Nikki, a long-time natural, likes to keep things straight--especially her hair.  With no chemicals, she attains her straightened tresses with the help of the ever-so-trusty pressing comb.  Hats off to Nikki, cause Lord knows I was glad to get away from the pressing comb.  Something about a hot comb, my mama telling me not to "jump", and a kitchen stove....quite frankly gives me the "hee-bee gee-bees".  But hey, they say beauty is pain!

(Press 'n Curl)

Nikki, tell us, what's your natural hair story?
I have been natural for about six years. I have only spent like 8 years of my life with a relaxer. I didn’t receive my first relaxer until 7th grade and I received my last relaxer junior year of college. I stopped relaxing my hair because I felt my scalp wasn’t strong enough for a relaxer. The lightest perm would burn my scalp. Also, I had highlights in my hair, and I had breakage at the back.

Did you big chop?
I did not do the big chop. The shortest I have ever gone was shoulder length. The last haircut I had was in August. I decided to try something new and got my hair layered.

When you were 100% natural, did you ever feel the need to over-accessorize?
No I didn’t feel the need to over accessorize. People have always thought I have a relaxer because I have always been a fan of press and curl. From time to time, I would do more natural styles with my hair. I just completed a two month stretch of nothing but natural styles. First style, I call a wet-twist because I twisted my hair while wet and used setting lotion on it. I let the twists stay in about a week and then took them out. Second one, I call a dry-twist because I blow dried my hair and twisted my hair without setting lotion. I keep the twists in for 2 weeks.

Wet Set

How did your family and friends react to your natural hair?
My family was blown away when they first saw my hair in twists. My brother suggested I get dreadlocks like him.  (This my mama twisted most of my hair) While wearing my hair in twists, someone asked me, “What’s wrong with your hair?” to which I replied, "It's called natural hair."  Yeah, some people are "special". Little did people know...my hair has been natural since the first day we met. Press and curl had everyone fooled.

Protective Styling (if any)?
When I don’t feel like getting my hair pressed I just pull it in a ponytail.

How often do you use heat? Have you experienced any heat damage?
I get my hair pressed probably once a month or twice in three months. I don’t have any heat damage. I am trying to grow out the straight hair phase. The relaxer did more damage than the heat. My hair shed really bad with relaxer and not so much natural, even with me applying heat.

Little Big Chop :)

Do you have a set hair regimen?
If I am doing it myself, like my latest natural styles phase, I deep conditioned it every 3 weeks when I wash it. Any other times I go to hairdresser once a month or twice in 3 months.
What has been your best natural hair compliment from a man?
Recently, I was told that my hair was beautiful, which was funny because three weeks before I had straight hair. Then, of course, I had to explain the entire natural ordeal to him. I am really not sure if he wanted to listen though.  LOL

Do you think natural hairstyles are "professional"?
I think they are professional. In fact, I have received more compliments from other races than my own race. It is definitely a growing trend. However, I am not entirely sure if I would wear a natural style to an interview or first day of work. My hair is really big.

What advice, if any, would you give to newly naturals or those currently transitioning?
I don’t necessary think that you have to do the big chop to get the job done. I think gradually cutting it will get the job done and you will get the same result. It also takes discipline to go natural. I spend 4 to 8 hours styling my hair after I wash it. Flat ironing doesn’t take as long as twist styles. Sigh. And for those of you that would rather wear straight hair, don’t be afraid to try the press and curl if your hair can stand a lot of heat.

(braid out) 

Is there anything else you want to share?
Yes, and I'm sure this is random, but I have a really dry, flaky scalp. If I didn't have so much hair I would have to wash it every two days to control the dandruff. I have experienced dry scalp as well, but I find natural oils to be helpful.  I also wash my hair at least once a week during the winter.  During the summer months, I can wash my hair up to 3 times a week. Oh, and conditioner is my hair's very best friend :)

1 comment:

misss_e said...

Thanks for the interview! I hope you do more like this...it was great to see what other naturals do!