Thursday, July 1, 2010

To Chop or Not to Chop...that is the Question *Shonta's Answer*

Remember the song "Chante's Got a Man," by Chante Moore? Well, I'd like you to meet another Shonta' who has a different song. 



Why did you decide to big chop?
I decided to BC because the two textures were doing more harm than good to my hair. Struggling with both in all actuality was ripping my natural hair out also.

Were you nervous?
Very nervous, I have had long hair my whole life. I knew people would be like wtf! LOL

Did you cut your own hair or did you go to a stylist?
Hahaha! Well, first, my mom cut my ends off. Then, a couple weeks after that, I went to a stylist because I still had straight ends sticking up. My mom was afraid to cut anymore off. I wish she had, though, because the stylist was a disaster! She gave me a Boosie fade. (I guess Shonta's Got a Fade)  LOL No lie. I had a pretty good size fro when I did the BC, I just need to get the straight ends cut off. Despite giving the stylist clear cut instructions, I walked out with a fade. Sooooo yeah!!!

(Rapper, Lil Boosie)
I.N.D.E.P.E.N.D.E.N.T.


What were your first thoughts after seeing your hair on the floor, rather than on your head?
There is no turning back now!!!!

Did you feel regretful or liberated?
I felt like I did what I wanted to do.

What reaction did you get from family, friends, & colleagues?
EVERYBODY was surprised that I actually did it. Of course people made the “but your hair was so long” comments but I think all in all they grew to like it.


Do you miss your old hair now that it is a distant memory?
Umm I don’t think I do. I like my hair as it is now.  I am constantly telling people that if I were to straighten it, it would probably be back to the same length.

In your opinion, Big Chop or Let it grow before you let it go? 
I say to let it grow a little, but don’t hold on to it. As soon as you get a little length cut it.


No comments: