Wednesday, July 7, 2010

ABC's of Natural Hair Talk

There are so many acronyms (and so much lingo) used in the natural hair community that one could easily get confused. Here's a list of some of the most often used terms:

BC - big chop
DC - deep condition
PJ - product junky
TWA - teeny weeny afro
EL - ear length
NL - neck length
SL - shoulder length
APL - arm pit length
BSL - bra strap length
MBL - mid back length
ACV - apple cider vinegar
EVOO - extra virgin olive oil
EVCO - extra virgin coconut oil
JBCO - jamaican black castor oil
KCCC - kinky curly curling custard
Cones - silicones (products containing them)
HH - hello hydration (herbal essence)
BSS - beauty supply store
Cowash - conditioner wash
No Poo - no shampoo (usually cowashes)
Slip - when conditioner helps hair glide through comb
Protective Style - style worn to protect ends of hair and preserve length

*** Just My Lingo ***

OMG - Oh Em Gee (a term you will see me use often)
Cool Beans - everything is okay (term initially used by my friend, Kristen, but has rapidly spread to anyone I talk to)
WTF - Dubyah Tee Eff (I don't curse)
IMO/ IMHO - in my opinion/ in my honest opinion
YT - YouTube




Feel free to add any terms I have not covered!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for this sight, I bounced upon it by accident. Today I went to my sons barber and got it ALLLLLL CUT OFF. it feels great.

Nappollonia said...

I imagine it does! Congrats on your natural hair journey!